River Lot 5: Grant of land from the Province to the University

 
Note: Click on the image to enlarge.
Description: Sketch of University site, scale 300' - 1 inch, May 1908. Premier Alexander Cameron Rutherford selected the site for the new University of Alberta and purchased 258 acres (104.4 hectares) of land on the south side of the North Saskatchewan River. At that time the land was covered with scrub poplar trees and willows. To the north was the river valley, to the south was the street that angled across the street grid of Strathcona and was named University Avenue, passing in front of the Duggan Street School (Queen Alexandra School) and along the south side of River Lot 5. The western boundary of the new campus became 116 Street and the eastern boundary became 112 Street.
Location: Edmonton, AB
Year: 1908
This record is part of the following collections: