Charles Stelck

(1946 - 1982)

Charles Stelck, appointed in 1946 to teach returning veterans, received a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Alberta in 1937 followed by a Master of Science degree in geology in 1941 from the same institution. He received the Doctor of Philosophy degree from Stanford in 1950. Prior to his appointment at the University of Alberta Dr. Stelck worked for various oil and mining companies and was associated with Imperial Oil at the time of the Leduc Oil discovery. He was the geologist responsible for the mapping and location of the discovery well of the Fort St John gas field in British Columbia which he mapped with a crew of his own students.

His courses were in the field of paleontology, stratigraphy and micropaleontology.

He continues in his research of Cretaceous foraminifera and endemic ammonites with some seventy published papers in these and allied fields. He supervised some 56 graduate student theses and is still active on qualifying and thesis examinations.
He has been a member of the Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists of Alberta since 1942 and has acted on the examinations board of that body since 1950 following the untimely death of Dr. Rutherford He is Chief Ring Steward of the geological-geophysical division of the annual ring ceremony for graduates.

Dr. Stelck acted as curator for the Geological Museum for 40 years and still actively advises. He was chairman of the University research fund committee for many years, member of the Geological advisory committee of the Alberta Research Council; Subcommittee on Stratigraphy to the National Committee on Geological Research; first president of the Paleontological Division, Geological Association of Canada and co-editor P.S. Warren Memorial volume of that association. He was made a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1960; an Honorary Member of the Society of Canadian Petroleum Geologists in 1979; awarded the Logan Medal of the Geological Association of Canada in 1982; given the Centennial Award of the Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists of Alberta in 1979; and the Rutherford Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (University of Alberta) in 1982.