Richard Lambert

Richard Lambert was appointed Professor and Chairman of the Department of Geology in 1970, serving as Chairman for 10 years. He had previously spent a sabbatical year in the Department (1963-64). He took his B.A. (Natural Sciences Tripos part II, 1st Class Honours) at Cambridge in 1952, specializing in Mineralogy and Petrology, following this with a Ph.D. (Cambridge) in 1955. Appointed to a permanent faculty position at the University of Leeds in 1955, he moved to Oxford University in 1956 to lecture in petrology and research in isotope geology. While at Oxford, 1956 - 1970, he was heavily involved in the development of new graduate colleges, being a senior college officer at the new Wolfson College from 1965 to 1970.